Monday 12 July 2010

Back from the Scottish Islands to our local wild orchids

Monday 12 th July 2010
                                   It's 5 weeks since I last uploaded a post, the reason being we've been on the Isle of Arran, the Outer Hebrides and the Isle of Skye orchid searching, cycling and walking. I'll give a very short taste of the wild beautiful islands and their breathtaking beauty  before I come up to date with my local  patch.
I'll give a little more detail of the Scottish Islands in later posts.

                                The Mountains of Arran

                                   The Isle of Benbecula

                                              North Uist

                                            South Harris

                                            North Harris

                       Audrey on the beach in North Harris

                                               Isle of Skye

                                             Isle of Skye

          Back home in my back garden there are 146 orchid spikes mainly common spotted orchids but up in the field at the back of our house we counted around 400 orchid spikes a mixture of Common Spotted Orchids and Southern Marsh Orchids.
                          Common Spotted Orchids in my garden

                         Orchids have colonized my alpine trough

                                      Around the pond


                 Southern Marsh Orchids in the field near our house





                                                  
                                        

2 comments:

  1. Wow..lovely photos. Welcome back. I will look forward to reading all about the Scottish Islands as it is a place my husband and I are intending to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos! We are very fond of Scotland because my daughter attended the University of St. Andrews. We were fortunate to be able to see quite a bit of it while she was there and hope to return someday. I am sending you an email with a botanical question.

    Cheers!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete